Leading Network Transformation
Benefits of RAN Virtualization
The benefits from virtualizing the RAN is numerous since it fundamentally changes the way networks are procured, built and operated. Below is the summarized list of obvious benefits when comparing and contrasting against the traditional DRAN solution.
- Cost savings from commercial-of-the-shelves high processing density hardware
- Enhanced network availability and reliability already built into NFV technologies such as OpenStack and the intelligent virtual infrastructure manager and service orchestrator
- Operational efficiency through pooling of a homogeneous set of hardware resources and provisioning and managing network functions and services only with software
- Highly scalable and elastic capacity to quickly and cost effectively adapt to short term location specific traffic spikes and long term traffic growth while enabling energy saving when the capacity demand is low
- Efficient partitioning of network functions and resources to support the 5G use cases such as enhanced mobile broadband, ultra reliable and low latency, and internet of things leveraging technologies such as software defined networking, service function chaining and service orchestration
- Energy saving is inherited through automatic scaling of functions and resources to meet capacity demands and unused resources are placed in low power mode or shut off completely.